Model of the Month

                                                                                  BISMARK

       The kit is made by Tamiya and the scale is 1:350. As models go, this kit is very old. I purchased it in Den Helder, Holland about 25 years ago and it has sat on the shelf ever since. I have looked at it many times and thought “ yes must get on and do it.” Well now it’s done, only another 40 models to go, the trouble is every time I go to a show I always seem to eye a bargain – well modellers do, don’t they.

       Before starting I  examined all the bits and surprisingly could find no problems. Due to the age I quite expected to see that the hull halves or the deck had warped but they were OK. The kit can be radio controlled if required but this one is going to be part of a diorama, so those parts were discarded. The hull comes in two halves, port and starboard, not top and bottom. I decide to make the whole model first and then cut off the lower half of the hull. To me Tamiya do a good kit where things seem to fit and flashing is next to nothing. So making the model was nearly straight forward, apart from the deck, which comes in three sections. The two outer sections fitted lovely but the middle was a bit too proud and needed some sanding. Once sanded, it fitted after a fashion but would not fit flush to the outer decks. No matter what I did the deck would not lay flush.

     When cutting off the lower hull I used a small disc that fitted into the drill and with some care cut the hull in a reasonabley straight line.

      The sea scape was done with toilet tissue and wood glue. To get the Atlantic swell I rolled up three or four tissues spaced them equally and glued into position. Smaller rolls were laid by each of the large rolls. Then the whole thing was covered in several layers of toilet tissue. When nearly dry, using a sharp, knife the hull was cut out and then the model was placed in the cut out. As the sea scape was supple the model fitted in the cut out and with a stiff wet brush the tissue was push against the hull. When totally dry the sea scape was given several washes of Tamiya Sea blue and when this was dry, white was used for breaking waves, bow waves etc. To finish it was given two coats of high gloss varnish.

The shell splashes are made from cotton wool with a white rod to hold the cotton wool in place.

NB The sea scape was on a video shown recently at a club meeting.